[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

From: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:32:33 -0600

> The assumption is incorrect.
>
> Please compare
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/moz/xmlns-dom.html
> and
> http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/moz/xmlns-dom.xhtml
>
> Same bytes, different media type.
>
>> I put together a very crude demonstration of JavaScript access of a
>> specific RDFa attribute, about. It's temporary, but if you go to my
>> main web page,http://realtech.burningbird.net, and look in the
>> sidebar for the click me text, it will traverse each div element
>> looking for an "about" attribute, and then pop up an alert with the
>> value of the attribute. I would use console rather than alert, but I
>> don't believe all browsers support console, yet.
>
> This misses the point, because the inconsistency is with attributes
> named xmlns:foo.

And I also said that we would have to address the issue of namespaces,
which actually may require additional effort. I said that the addition
of RDFa would mean the addition of some attributes, and we would have to
deal with namespace issues. Just like the HTML5 working group is having
to deal with namespaces with MathML and SVG. And probably the next dozen
or so innovations that come along. That is the price for not having
distributed extensibility.

One works the issues. I assume the same could be said of any many of the
newer additions to HTML5. Are you then saying that this will be a
showstopper, and there will never be either a workaround or compromise?

Shelley