[whatwg] DOM Storage feedback

On Jan 13, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:32:16 +0100, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Anne van Kesteren
>> <annevk at opera.com> wrote:
>>> alert() requires it.
>>
>> How so? I couldn't imagine how a site could depend on that.
>
> Debugging, for one. You can't mean that you'd consider making
> alert(null) give a dialog that contains the empty string rather than
> "null".

Yeah, we definitely shouldn't change this for alert or document.write

>>> Besides that I believe we (Opera) specifically did it
>>> for methods here and there to be more compatible with Internet
>>> Explorer and make sites work better.
>>
>> Do you know of any sites worked better because of the change? Or
>> indeed that were affected at all by the change?
>
> No, sorry. I believe WebKit is doing it as well though for a number
> of methods/attributes, but it's been a while since I looked into this.

We have marked up some of the attributes and method parameters where
the null value must be treated as "" instead of "null" with
ConvertNullToNullString in our IDL. There are a number of method
parameters that are not marked that way, but I'm not sure how many of
these require the normal ECMAScript behavior and how many just haven't
been changed.

Regards,
Maciej