[whatwg] Inconsistent behavior for empty-string URLs

From: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 09:55:03 -0500
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:16 AM, James May <whatwg at fowlsmurf.net> wrote:
> If this change is made, what is the correct (explicit) way to refer to the
> current URL? "." ?

No, that will return the file in the current directory named ".".
This might be the current directory itself.  You would have to say
"foo.html" or such.  This shouldn't be a big deal, given how crazy
you'd have to be to use the same URL for an HTML file and an image (or
whatever).

> In terms of web compat, I do recall a web picture gallery package that
> returned a html information page with a self reference to show the actual
> image.

How did that work?  It used a script that sniffed referers or
something crazy like that?