[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Jens Alfke wrote:
> By encouraging the UI to treat local storage as a type of cookie, the
> spec is contributing to user confusion that can lead to the type of data
> loss that I described in my previous message.
>
> Since user data loss is one of the very worst things any program can do
> to a user, I'd like the spec to encourage UAs to take a bit more care
> with local storage.

The problem is that there's no way to tell whether local storage is
being used for user data (friendly site) or the site's own data.   Lots
of current uses of cookies fall into the latter category; some fall into
the former...

And a compounding problem is that we (the user and the UA) can't trust
the site, in general.

-Boris