[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

From: Jens Alfke <snej@google.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:25:45 -0700

On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:18 AM, Peter Kasting wrote:

> The spec says basically what you want except that it uses "should".
> It seems like UAs and authors would both be satisfied with this; I
> don't expect any UA vendor to wantonly discard local storage data.

By encouraging the UI to treat local storage as a type of cookie, the
spec is contributing to user confusion that can lead to the type of
data loss that I described in my previous message.

Since user data loss is one of the very worst things any program can
do to a user, I'd like the spec to encourage UAs to take a bit more
care with local storage.

?Jens