[whatwg] Remove addCueRange/removeCueRanges

Max Romantschuk wrote:
> I'll chime in here, having done extensive work with audio and video
> codecs. With current codec implementations getting sample- or
> frame-accurate resolution is largely a pipe dream. (Outside of the realm
> of platforms dedicated to content production and playback.) Especially
> for video there can be several seconds between keyframes, frame-accurate
> jumps requiring complex buffering tricks.

Quick feedback: I completely agree it is illusory to guarantee
sample-accuracy accross codecs, and never meant to imply such a
requirement.

The much weaker goal I would propose is to support at least one simple
lossless audio format in this regard (I am not qualified to comment on
the video case). Simple means 'simple to generate, simple to decode',
and PCM WAVE meets these requirements, so would be an obvious candidate.

For that candidate at least I think one could give sample-accurate
implementations of subinterval selection - tons of audio applications
demonstrate this is possible.

-- Markus
SVOX AG, Baslerstr. 30, CH-8048 Z?rich, Switzerland
Dr. Markus Walther, Software Engineer Speech Technology
Tel.: +41 43 544 06 36
Fax: +41 43 544 06 01
Mail: walther at svox.com

This e-mail message contains confidential information which is for the
use of the addressee(s) only. Please notify the sender by return e-mail
or call us immediately, if you erroneously received this e-mail.