[whatwg] Select elements and radio button/checkbox groups [Was: Form Control Group Labels]

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Markus Ernst wrote:
> Ian Hickson schrieb:
> >
> > Why is that a problem? Is converting one to the other a common occurance?
> >
> > I'm not really convinced it's that much work. Assuming that the radio
> > buttons and/or checkboxes are written in a consistent manner, which
> > they usually are, a simple regexp search-and-replace on the source is
> > usually enough to convert them. [...]
>
> Well, as far as I get the various discussions in the WHATWG list, many of them
> are about one of the following:
>
> - Making things easier
>
> - Introducing features into HTML that are commonly solved by client-side
> (e.g. the extensions to the input element) or server-side scripting
> (e.g. solving the login/logout problem in HTML)

Thus the question, is converting <select> to radio/checkbox groups common?
I don't think it is. Are there oft-used JS libraries that do this?

> - Improving language consistency (e.g. the discussions about elements
> such as abbr, dfn, small, b etc.)

These carefully avoid changing the syntax, though. :-)

> So let me, as a conclusion, repeat two points out of the suggestions I
> made earlier, which I think would be quite helpful, and which do not
> cause backwards compatibility problems, as they degrade to the default
> behaviour of the elements in older UAs. After that I will not insist in
> this topic anymore... :-)
>
> 1. Introduce a type attribute to the select element, which can change
> the output into a list of radio buttons (in normal mode) resp.
> checkboxes (in multiple mode).

Why can't you just use <input type=radio>/<input type=checkbox>?

(Note: On the long term, this is really just a stylistic issue, and XBL2
with CSS will be able to achieve this anyway.)

> 2. Introduce a multiline attribute to input type="text", possibly
> supplemented by a rows attribute.

Why can't you just use <textarea>?

We don't want to add features that don't really add new abilities, unless
they really help something that people do a lot. Do people do this a lot?