[whatwg] Exposing EventTarget to JavaScript

From: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:59:01 -0700
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> Erik Arvidsson wrote:
>
>> I do agree that the EventTarget API is suboptimal and so are most of
>
> the DOM APIs but it is what we got and we need tie the lose ends and
>> make ends meet.
>>

> Why is the right approach to this to add addEventListener and its baggage
> to everything instead of adding a sane API to everything?

What would be a better approach? You gain a lot from consistency and doing
something that developers are already intimately familiar with. Personally,
addEventListener seems good enough to me and it's already there. I'm not
totally opposed to coming up with something better than addEventListener,
but it's hard to argue one way or another without a counter-proposal.

Ojan