From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Ian Hickson
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:57 PM
To: Aaron Swartz
Cc: whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] List of differences between whatwg and w3c spec?

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Aaron Swartz wrote:

> I notice there are specs for HTML5 dated today at:
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/
>
> diff -u shows a lot of difference, but most are cosmetic. (I gather
> they're there because Hixie disagrees with some W3C pubrules but can't
> get them changed.) Is there any page that lists the substantive
> differences? Presumably the generation of the drafts is automated; is
> the source file for the drafts published?

They're identical from the page of contents down to the bottom.
(Literally, they're generated from the same file.) The only difference is
in the header, the abstract, and the "status of this document" section.
This is in fact stated in the "status of this document" section in both
copies (they both say "The two specifications are identical from the table
of contents onwards").

HTH,