[whatwg] [Web Forms 2.0] 2.3. Extensions to the select element - comment & proposal

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:51:17 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Garrett Smith wrote:

> Currently there is a problem in at least Firefox, and I can't remember
> about IE. If no OPTION has selected attribute, then Firefox will select
> the first option in the list. If the first option is selected, it's
> selected attribute will be true and the defaultSelected will be false.
> This is because defaultSelected is required to return the value of the
> HTML selected attribute.
>
> The negative result this has is that it causes the form to appear dirty.

To work around this, manually mark the first element as selected.

I think it isn't a bug that it marks the form as dirty (as it were); the
data that the server sent is that nothing was selected, yet the client
would submit a value. This is a difference and it is right to act as if it
is a difference, IMHO.