[whatwg] input type=hidden outside phrasing content

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Andy Lyttle <whatwg at phroggy.com> wrote:

>>>    <input type="hidden" ...>
>>>

> This is something I wanted to do recently.  I was building HTML in a Perl
> script, adding table rows in a loop, and I wanted some rows to contain text
> field with user-editable value, while for other rows I wanted the value to
> be displayed but not editable (and I didn't want to use a disabled text
> input, I wanted the value displayed as plain text and use a hidden input
> with the value preset).  I believe I wound up putting the <input> inside the
> were valid I probably would have done that.

That seems sort of weird though.  You're fine with putting the <input
type="text"> within the <td>, but you'd prefer *not* to do the same with the
<input type="hidden">?  It seems much more reasonable to just put it in the
exact same place.  At any rate, it certainly doesn't seem like a compelling
reason to change the content model of <tr>.

~TJ