From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Ian Hickson
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 11:08 AM
To: whatwg at whatwg.org
Subject: Re: [whatwg] Video : Slow motion, fast forward effects

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Dave Singer wrote:
> If muting is needed, then it should be explicitly requested.

We can get this by requiring that the user agent play _some_ audio, even
if severely degraded, at all speeds including negative speeds. I'm happy
to require that if people are ok with it.

[snip]

For the reasons described above, I'd rather change this to say that the
audio _must_ play _despite_ the problems, and that authors should set
muted to false if they don't actually want the audio. That way we won't
end up inadvertently setting authors up for relying on a particular
de-facto standard behavior.

'