[whatwg] video tag : loop for ever

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM, Chris Double <chris.double at double.co.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Michael A. Puls II
> <shadow2531 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seeking to the beginning when the ended event fires sounds like a good
>> workaround for patching in a loop feature. But, you'd have to do it on
>> a per-instance basis.
>
> Even with the looping attributes you'd need to do it on a per instance
> basis. It's the page author, not the user (unless they use something
> like GreaseMonkey) that makes the decision whether things can loop.
> Keeping or removing the loop attributes don't change this.
>
> I think all functionality provided by the looping attributes can be
> done via scripting. But is there a need to provide the ability to do
> these things with JavaScript disabled?

The main advantage I can see of having loop attributes is that the
implementation knows that the start of the loop is about to be shown
and can make sure to buffer and/or decode as appropriately.

That said. I am unconvinced that looping common enough that it's a use
case that needs to be optimized for.

/ Jonas