[whatwg] Citing multiple <blockquote> elements in HTML5

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:12:13 +0200
On Nov 30, 2008, at 18:38, Calogero Alex Baldacchino wrote:

> I'm not sure I'm understanding the whole function of the <cite>
> element,
[...]
> Q: What problem does it solve?

The <cite> element solves the problem that if one considers <i> evil
(I don't) and one wants to conform to the Chicago Manual of Style and
one believes that <em> is semantically wrong for titles of work,
without <cite> there wouldn't be an appropriate element for
italicizing titles of work per CMoS in a way that doesn't depend on
CSS being available.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi