[whatwg] Expanding datetime

[Warning: begin tirade, diatribe, fulmination, harangue, jeremiad, and/or philippic]

At the very least, ensure that the range of times (dates, durations, intervals and times-of-day) and the granularity are well and rigorously specified. Ensure, also, that there is a Javascript mechanism to alarm, mechanically, when such element values exceed the specified envelope (I do not see such in the current text).

If the browser cannot handle a datetime string of "-0548-11-22 18:23:46,03276548901+3" (other-epochal, proleptic, locale-dependent and, I'm certain, annoying in several other respects), just make sure Javascript does something predictable and explicit.

I can see arguments on both sides of the question:
+ Microformats and extra-UNIXian-epochs are needed and there are business cases
	Hawkes-Lewis alludes to such with the Disney link
		(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney)
	Read: "Copyright Issues"
- It's so painful as to require a document comparable to the entire HTML5 specification
	and look at that awful mess I used, above, as an example

Strangely, there exists an argument for a "crippling" of capabilities. It goes like this:

If a browser's Javascript is limited, JS files can support microformats, proleptic dates, Before-Common-Era dates, unique epochs and so on. However, the creation of such utilities will be hindered if the needs-case is nebulous. Failing to explicitly specify the HTML5 envelope will only increase that ambiguity ("Well, it works most of the time, so why bother?").

The question then becomes, "Is the specification properly limited or ludicrous?"

I would claim that an epoch of 1970 (the traditional, UNIX epoch) is ludicrous just because so many luminaries started their existence before that moment (for example, "me" - ahem). On the other hand, I could understand a requirement that an epoch of no later than 1900, while limited, is at least "proper" (even in light of some locales' not adopting the Gregorian calendar until the 1930s).

Just don't hinder the needs-case for somebody building the JS files (I repeat myself, but I did warn that this would be tediously hortatory).

[end tirade - Thank you for your patience]