[whatwg] Select element suggestion

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Csaba Gabor wrote:
>>
>> Therefore, it makes sense to float those values to the top of the
>> select element in a reasonable way.  What's reasonable?  I would like
>> to suggest: frequencyLimit=percent

This IMO should be an UA feature, just like autocomplete on text boxes.
Eventually something similar to autocomplete=off could be added to the
select element in case options ordering really matters, but I don't
think anything more is needed.

> I assume you would want this to work across different sites? If so, you have
> a privacy problem. I can tell with fairly good certainty what state you are
> from without you telling me; I just set up a hidden one of these and query
> the DOM. I can also find out the expiry month and year of your main credit
> card.

There's no need for those reorderings [1] to be reflected in the DOM;
it could all be about presentation.

[1] actually, the options could be just duplicated at the top of the
list rather than moved; just like e.g. MS Office's font selection
combo box

--
Thomas Broyer