[whatwg] Some <video> questions

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:46:33 +0100
Charles:
> I was hoping that <video> would make Objecty <http://wiltgen.net/
> objecty/> redundant by making it easy for authors to embed video in
> a very simple, normalized fashion across formats, browsers and OSs.

The |video| element in HTML5 will make it easy to embed videos
(potentially including those contained in FLV).
The |embed| element in HTML5 makes it easy to embed Flash applets etc.

   <video src="foo.flv" width="480" height="200" poster="300-
poster.jpg"></video>
   <embed src="player.swf?file=foo" width="480" height="226"></embed>

Your |class|-hooked script Objecty seems to try to support both and
also supports certain "page" URLs (You Tube, Google Video).
The |object| element in HTML5 could still be used like that, but you
would probably choose the more fitting of the other two elements (at
least as soon as |video| is widely supported, while |embed| already is).

Ian, |object| currently has special handling for images, shouldn't
videos be dealt with similarily (i.e. not create a nested browsing
context)? Also |type="image"| (or 'video') should be enough, without
slash and subtype, but I've raised that before.

> Now I understand that <video> will be considered successful without
> having fixed video embeddeding in general, which is fine.

Your loose use of terminology and snappy tone are seriously not helping.