[whatwg] How to use SVG in HTML5?

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:17:09 +0200
On Jan 23, 2008 10:42 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Chris is incorrect in his assertion because clients can be
> presumed to have increasing amounts of rendering power available just
> to make pretty pictures.

please don't assume this. an n800 or n810 does not have much
processing power, and its user would prefer that the device's battery
last longer. Rendering a tiny picture perfectly on the client side
when it could have been rendered server side is not a polite thing to
ask of a resource limited device.

> Every browser (except IE) *has* SVG rendering.

That's not true. MicroB as shipped w/ OS 2008 on the N810 (and in OS
2008 for the N800) does not include SVG rendering.
<http://browser.garage.maemo.org/news/9/> (disclaimer: i wrote that
page)

AFAICT IE6 included an old version of Adobe's SVG plugin, and you can
get Adobe's latest plug-in (3.03) if you like.

> Firefox 3 will have *accurate* SVG rendering.

who's promising this?