[whatwg] Workers in HTML5

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:46:44 +0100, Scott Hess <shess at google.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that this is an area where if you give an inch, the
> developer wants another inch.  If you have something called "window",
> then you're just moving things around - instead of saying "Where is my
> window?", developers get to say "Why can't my window do X?"  Since
> this is all new ground, it might be more reasonable to define the set
> of things you want to have in your worker context, and then contrive
> to add those things to your UI context.  That way you're explaining
> what is there, rather than excusing what is not there.
>
> [Anvil labeled "Legacy Interfaces" lands on Scott's head.]

Given that most people don't know the difference between the Window and
the global object and the global worker object will already contain a
bunch of APIs identical to those on the Window object it seems to me that
giving the object and interface a different name doesn't really help.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>