[whatwg] SQL storage and onunload

On Feb 10, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 22:06:39 +0100, Alexey Proskuryakov
> <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the user leaving the page is the same as aborting the
>>> download.
>>
>>   I've seen servers (e.g. Google) use XHR in onunload to track
>> usage statistics. Sounds like a reasonable use case (really, is
>> there a better way?).
>
> How do you determine when you can end the process? It also seems
> kind of icky that the window is already closed (as far as the end
> user is concerned), but that code is still executing on behalf of it.

   I don't know - this doesn't currently work in WebKit. But it
presumably works in other engines, given that there is code that uses
it.

   I don't think it's particularly evil to make a single XHR request
from onunload, with an understanding that no response will be
delivered. However for SQL storage, one cannot just execute a
statement without asynchronously creating a transaction, which makes
it even more tricky.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov