[whatwg] Semantics and related feedback

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> On 28/12/08 04:09, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I agree that conventions differ between media, but if the author wants to
> > tweak the settings for each media, CSS and class values already exist to
> > take care of this.
>
> That's true for authors only (the party least likely to want to tweak
> settings for other media and most likely to get them wrong). It's not
> true for default user agent stylesheets, it's not true for user
> stylesheets, and it's not true for user interfaces for controlling
> presentation.
>
> Realistically, I think one either has to say these differing conventions
> are not important enough to be represented on the web or that "i"
> doesn't actually deliver media independence on this front. "i" plus
> microformats might.

I believe I did say later in that e-mail (though maybe in not so many
words) that there was no point trying to provide semantics as fine-grained
as would be necessary to handle all these cases of media-specific
conventions, because authors are unlikely to have the patience to actually
use such markup correctly anyway.

We already see people using <em> for things other than emphasis; I don't
think providing even more fine-grained semantics would really help here.