[whatwg] Ghosts from the past and the semantic Web

From: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:45:07 -0700
Kristof Zelechovski wrote:
> If the blog site allows users to use a nonstandard license, it should
> support the metadata model you propose, i.e. it should provide a way to
> inject that information in the HEAD.  However, when I post to a public
> forum, I have to obey the forum's rules, which include subscribing to their
> license in most cases.

Again, I would appreciate if you could allow Creative Commons to define
Creative Commons' needs, especially when it comes to changing the way
licenses are imposed on people. We've seen from our usage that the most
we can expect a user to do is to add *one* chunk of HTML to their site.
That's it. That chunk has to be both user-visible and machine-readable.

But even without CC, you're making a number of assumptions that are
fairly narrow, in order to fit your point that someone should not be
able to define any metadata for a chunk of HTML.

I think it's clear that the Ubiquity example shows how your assumption
is false. There is value in embedded metadata that is fully expressible
in a *chunk* of HTML that can be copied and pasted wherever you want.

-Ben