[whatwg] hashchange only dispatched in history traversal

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Garrett Smith wrote:

> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#onhashchange
> | onhashchange
> |
> |    Must be invoked whenever a hashchange event
> | is targeted at or bubbles through the element.
>
> I see it fires on History Traversal:
> | If the specified entry has a URL that differs from the current entry's
> | only by its fragment identifier, and the two share the same Document
> | object, then fire a simple event with the name hashchange at the body
> | element
>
> Is 'hashchange' an event that fires every time window.location.hash
> changes?

Yes.

> I'm not sure what that has to do with the body element.

Nothing especially, except that that is where the event is fired, so that
you can do <body onhashchange="...">.

> This may be one of those new ideas that may not ever see widespread
> implementation.

It's already implemented in IE8.

> I'm interested in discussing the other issue that is more relevant to
> existing standards and implementations (Misconceptions Documented).

I will reply to all feedback in due course; the IDL-related issues are
currently awaiting WebIDL updates that that the HTML5 spec can be updated.
You can see what e-mails are still pending replies here:

   http://whatwg.org/issues/