[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

From: Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj@stegny.2a.pl>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 15:10:35 +0200
No, no, and no.
Author's POV:
Mass complaints about _supposedly_ incompatible Web content from incompetent
end users would only cause me, as the author, to file a complaint with the
browser vendor.  The browser should not pretend it is omniscient and it can
teach everyone around.
Vendor's POV:
Browser vendors can and should agree on the basic constructs and provide the
relevant publisher's documentation for the good of the Web; advertising the
competitors' products would be an unreasonable requirement.
User's POV:
I am unwilling to help my browser vendor get the page that works for me
display correctly in another product I do not intend to use.  The warning is
obtrusive, it warns about something immaterial and it bears a slight
resemblance to a chain letter.
Chris