[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:59:06 +1200
That would be nice to have. Unfortunately DirectShow and Quicktime do not
seem to expose the ability to enumerate supported codecs, so it might be
hard to implement for some browsers.

As things stand, you can use <source> elements to offer different formats,
and you can try to play a stream and use script to detect if it fails to
play.

Rob
53:5-6]