[whatwg] Scripted querying of <video> capabilities

From: Tim Starling <tstarling@wikimedia.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:53:25 +1000
Would it be possible to add methods or properties to HTMLMediaElement to
support scripted determination of client codec capabilities?

The supported codecs will no doubt change through the years, as the
technology and the legal situation changes. I'd like to see
determination of codec support (Vorbis, FLAC, Dirac, etc.) as well as
container support (AVI, Ogg, etc.), and I think both can be done fairly
simply by making available an array of supported MIME types.
Implementors could be encouraged, via the standard, to expose both
codecs and containers.

-- Tim Starling
Wikimedia Foundation