[whatwg] several messages about <sarcasm> proposals

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> <sarcasm>Excelent!!</sarcasm>
>
> This will be a great idea to formalize and publish around April next
> year.

My timing is completely unintentional, I assure you.

I read all of the above, and gave this idea much more consideration than
it probably deserves. I also studied various typographic conventions, and
studied potential use cases, other vocabularies, and so forth.

I do not believe that starting down this slippery slope will get us enough
benefits to outweigh the costs involved. It isn't at all clear when we
would have to stop (just look at the proposals above, which quickly went
from just indicating sarcasm to pointing out other kinds of humour, other
emotions, etc).

I also believe that the rather limited success that analogous proposals
have enjoyed in print typography over the years should be a warning sign
for us to avoid introducing any explicit markup for this.

As has been noted, class keywords can be used for this purpose on a
site-by-site basis.

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007, Dan Brickley wrote:

> Some way of citing externally maintained lists might be nice, eg. see
> work of http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion/charter
>
> ""The mission of the Emotion Incubator Group, part of the Incubator
> Activity, is to investigate the prospects of defining a general-purpose
> Emotion annotation and representation language, which should be usable
> in a large variety of technological contexts where emotions need to be
> represented.""

We have such a way -- defining Microformats based on existing
vocabularies. I think providing such a microformat based on the results of
the aforementioned incubator group would be a good way to experiment with
this and help gain us some "in the wild" experience. If such experience is
positive, then it would be something to revisit.