[whatwg] Offline Web Apps with Open-Ended URI Spaces (was Re: Offline Web Apps)

On Sep 19, 2007 11:23 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> Given point #1, I think this should be based on textual prefix
> matching of the URI, not just dropping the query (the scheme and
> authority sections should be treated specially, of course, it should
> not be allowed to have a fallback page in someone else's security
> domain). This will allow matching paths and also matching only
> specific kinds of queries (where the first parameter is set to some
> specific value, say). However, to make offline and online mode diverge
> as little as possible, I think perhaps such fallback pages should
> apply only when offline. When online, the UA should go to the real
> page. With the prefix-based fallback page solution, I'm not sure it
> will be necessary to also support individual client-generated pages.

I think having a feature where an offline page can be served for all URIs
with a certain prefix makes sense. It is basically a superset of the current
Gears ignoreQuery feature, and it is something that users of our API have
asked about.

- a