[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007, Aaron Boodman wrote:
> On Sep 10, 2007 2:21 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > I still don't understand how you see this working using the same
> > codebase both online and offline. The model I'm proposing basically
> > relies on the app being an offline app, except that while you're
> > online the offline app is talking to the server to keep its database
> > updated and the server updated with the user's changes. What you're
> > describing seems like it would require a different set of code for the
> > offline case than the online case.
>
> You can share the UI code for normal web apps with local-mode ones if
> you have a clean separation between the server and the UI. In fact, I
> think it will be common to want to do this. Bookmarks and URLs from the
> online app should work with the offline one and vice versa.

I agree, I just don't see how this applies to the example Robert gave
with Bugzilla. The idea of having some URIs be decomposed by the
client-side and have them fetch different pages from the server seems
really unwise, especially since in browsers that don't support this,
they'll not be decomposed and will end up fetching different pages.