[whatwg] <video> element feedback

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:37:55 +0200
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:04:33 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Laurens Holst wrote:
>> So, what do you think would be needed to fix this situation.
>
> In my dream world, IE would support dispatch by MIME type and authors who don't
> care about targeting a specific plug-in binary could just stop using the classid
> mess.

For accessibility it is actually important that the *user* decides what software they use, rather than the author.

>> Or should Internet
>> Explorer fix their behaviour of objects nested in objects (you would
>> still have two nested elements then though), or support finding plugins
>> in the absence of a classid attribute?
>
> Yes to both, in my opinion.

Likewise. So long as you have IE's broken object behaviour blocking development, we will be in a mess. Chris Wilson points out that they have a responsibility to the part of the web that uses them, but they have a responsibility to deal with major problems, too. And fixing the problems doesn't need to break existing content, it just makes it possible to improve compatibility all around...

cheers

Chaals

  hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com