[whatwg] Full screen for the <video> element

From: liorean <liorean@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:27:11 +0100
On 22/03/07, Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk> wrote:
> Incidentally, although I'm in favour of the full-screen feature under
> discussion being for full-screen *video*, not full-screen pages, I'm not
> arguing that this should be mandated by the spec. This is something that
> browsers could choose to offer, just as they could choose to offer
> full-screen images as you mention in your example.
>
> Given that showing a video or image full-screen requires no co-operation
> from the page it was embedded on, it doesn't need to be in the spec.
> It's a browser implementation detail.

It doesn't require cooperation if included in the the UA UI, no, but
what if the page opts to provide it's own UI? Then it would be nice if
that feature could be reached from the API in those cases it does
exist (and whether it exists or not should be discoverable), rather
than them not being able to include that functionality at all, or
hacking it together by stopping the playback in the original window
and opening a new fullscreen window with another copy of the video in.
Especially if one wants to switch in the middle of the a video,
keeping the playback going without interuption.
--
David "liorean" Andersson