[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

On Mar 22, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:

> From an accessibility perspective the proposal lacks support for
> captioning. There should be a mechanism for enabling/disabling
> captions to avoid disadvantaging people who have difficulties with
> hearing the audio. It should further be possible to control the
> font size for captions to avoid disadvantaging people who don't
> find small font sizes intelligible. I don't think that the Web
> Accessibility folks will find the fall back text to be a compelling
> solution, and it is no longer acceptable to ignore accessibility.

Video can have timed text tracks, but we haven't yet proposed an API
for controlling that other than a vague suggestion in open issues.
Accessibility features in the UA itself could still allow global
control of caption tracks per this spec.

> p.s. the step function refers to frames but I was unable to find
> out whether the interface provides the current frame rate. This
> would appear to be an oversight.

The omission of frame rate is deliberate, since in many modern media
formats frames are not a fixed duration. But even without defining a
rate, it may still be possible to single-step frames and can be
interesting for close inspection of video, either for video
professional purposes or things like finding single-frame easter eggs.

Regards,
Maciej