[whatwg] Resurrection of HTML+'s <image> (was: <video> element feedback)

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:43:45 +0000
Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Oh yes, lets upgrade DOCTYPE sniffing to the 20th century. Fricking
> awesome.

My uneducated guess is UAs will inevitably continue to doctype sniff no
matter what WCAG do, if only because they have existing code that does
this and the web has tonnes of CSS that relies on it. But if we want to
avoid defining new behaviour for </img> and </image> parsing, how about

Or, how about getting more specific?

<bitmap> [e.g. image/gif of an icon]
<diagram> [e.g. image/svg of a map]
<photo> [e.g. image/jpeg of a cat]

Would that help search engines, I wonder?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis