[whatwg] <video> element feedback

On 21/03/07, Robert Brodrecht <whatwg at robertdot.org> wrote:
> Christoph P?per said:
> > Maybe it is a stupid idea, but is something like the following
> > imaginable to make a XHTML5 browser display inline video with a basic
> > UI without the need for scripting?
> >
> >    <form method="MEDIA">
> >      <video src="pretty.ogg"/>
> >      <button type="play"/>
> >    </form>
>
> I was somewhat concerned with the script-only controls.  Your's is a neat
> approach if you wanted a custom, scriptless UI for the element and I think
> it may be a good idea to have scriptless UI controls.  I don't know what
> people would say about the form as "extra code" on the minimalistic
> <video>.
>
> That said, if the video controls are built in via a fade-in menu like
> iTunes video or (if they must) via a right-click menu, I think I could
> live without scriptless UI controls.  They'd be nice, though.

Hmm. I'd prefer to not add an artificial method on the form element.
Instead I'd prefer something like this:

<button type="play" for="idref_to_video">play</button>
<button type="pause" for="idref_to_video">pause</button>
<button type="stop" for="idref_to_video">stop</button>
<progress type="played" for=idref_to_video></progress>
<progress type="buffered" for=idref_to_video></progress>

Where the buttons automatically without scripting do the equivalent of
the API function with the same name, and where the progress elements
gets it's value from the video as it plays/gets buffered.
--
David "liorean" Andersson