[whatwg] Attribute proposal: <video autostart>

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:15:43 -0000, Alexey Feldgendler
<alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:

> Automatic behavior in HTML has been traditionally expressed through
> scripting. It's not hard to write a one-line script which automatically
> starts playback, but solutions based on scripting are easier to
> circumvent on the user side (and it's good).

If you intend to use user scripts, you can as well call stop() on
automatically started <video> elements.

> -1 for |autoplay|.

I think it depends on whether <video> will be usable without scripting or
not. If current specification does not intend to require default UI, then
some JavaScript would be neccessary anway, so autoplay attribute doesn't
make any difference.

If <video> gets default UI and one could simply use <video src="...">,
then addition of something like
<script>document.getElementById('myvideo').play();</script> would diminish
elegance and simplicity of <video> element.

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski