[whatwg] Video proposals

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 19:53:18 +0100
Also sprach Robert Brodrecht:

 > > I  don't see how you're going to avoid that with
 > > <video> unless you intend  to make it a non-pluggable system, which does
 > > not seem like a good idea.
 >
 > I think that was the idea.  I don't need plugins for certain media files,
 > e.g., GIF, JPEG, and PNG (and maybe WAV, MP3, and MIDI using bgsound in IE
 > if that is still around).  If a certain set of cross-platform video codecs
 > could be supported, there would be no need for a plugin.

Exactly.

 > What WHATWG has been shooting for, is one common codec.  At this point,
 > WHATWG folks want Theora.

Yes, it's a likable format. If anyone has better ideas, this is the
time to step forward.

 > Apparently, that may still have some licensing
 > issues.

Some unnamed vendor has said it's unlikely they will ship a Theora
decoder, for whatever reason. Hopefully they will reconsider when
Wikipedia starts using it for real.

-h&kon
              H?kon Wium Lie                          CTO ??e??
howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome