[whatwg] <video> element proposal

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:36:35 -0000
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:11:01 -0000, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>
wrote:

> A good point. I know nothing about extending IE; would it be possible to
> have an IE addon which implemented support for a <video> tag, or would
> it need to be a plugin and therefore use <object>-style markup?

A script could easily fake <video> element using dynamically created
<object>. That's almost what SWFObject/QTObject scripts do now (and that's
probably de-facto standard for embedding interactive content since Eolas
patent).

I think in that case <video> is safest solution, because this gives acces
to alternative content (which is broken in IE6's <object>) and allows
script-controlled plugin detection and workarounds for bugs in
plugins/browser.

--
regards, Kornel Lesi?ski