[whatwg] href attribute

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:55:34 +0100, Colin Lieberman <colin at fontshop.com> wrote:

> One of the strengths of the current XHTML2 spec is the broadened use of
> the href attribute
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-hyperAttributes.html#adef_hyperAttributes_href)
> -- and the resulting requirement for user agents that any element with a
> (valid) href element be an actionable link.

Any element can be made into a button, but HTML has the <button> element to explicitly express the button semantics. I think you won't argue that

<button onclick="...">Calculate</button>

...is preferable than

Likewise, HTML has <a> to explicitly express the semantics of a hyperlink. I don't see how the language would benefit from the ability of turning any element into a link.