[whatwg] Parsing: Greater-than characters in doctype

From: Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:56:57 +0200
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:26:44 +0200, Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie at antplc.com> wrote:

> "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All browsers terminate the doctype at the first ">" character, even if
>> it's inside the public identifier or system identifier.
>
> I see this sort of comment a lot - I think it would be really helpful if
> people could state which browsers they have actually tested, because you
> clearly cannot have tested "all browsers".  IE, Firefox, Safari and Opera
> aren't "all browsers" (especially if you only test one specific version)

Oops! Seems my testing went wrong somewhere. IE doesn't do this.

IE seems to not emit the token for > that is in quotes anywhere for both
doctypes and bogus comments (or it treats doctypes as bogus comments):

    <!doctype ">" >
    <! ">" >
    <? ">" >
    </ ">" >