[whatwg] several messages about discouraged things

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Keryx Web wrote:

> Speaking from __my__ experience, and the experience of those (too few)
> colleagues that I've met in Sweden who teach standards based web
> development, it is hard too make the student understand that something
> is wrong if he/she "get's away with it".

Agreed.

> I would like the spec to clearly state what is allowed for backwards
> compatibility only and what is the preferred way of marking up content.

The spec doesn't allow anything purely for backwards compatibility.

> I would like a spec that clearly says that some ways of marking up
> content is detrimental to accessibility and perhaps also usability. E.g.
> frames, including the iframe, or tables used for layout. You would not
> believe how many colleagues of mine who actually teach that frames are a
> good thing. My nephew, who studies i a nearby city, even had frames as a
> required feature of his work!

Frames are out (except <iframe>, which I don't really see as being a
problem, though let me know if I'm wrong on this). Tables for layout are
non-conforming, though I hope to make this clearer in due course. I've
added a note to myself in the spec to remind myself of this.

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Keryx Web wrote:

> A few examples that I think is bad practice (99.9 % of the time it's used):
>
> - Inline styles

The media-specific evils of style="", if it is allowed at all, will indeed
be called out explicitly.

> - Empty p-elements, or p elements containing only &nbsp;

The former will be allowed, as there are valid use cases (usually
involving script). I'd like to ban the latter, but I'm not sure how to do
it. Any suggestions?

> - A table within a table cell (Has this ever been used for anything but
> layout?)

There are valid uses of that, though they are rare. But layout tables in
general will be discouraged (and are non-conforming).

> - Iframes

Why are they bad?