[whatwg] Issues concerning the <base> element and xml:base

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>

>> 2. Not support multiple <base> elements in either quirks nor standards
>>    mode. This would break a lot of pages (36000 in hixies test) for
>>    no really good reason since very little code is needed to deal with
>>    it.
>
> I don't know if this supports your conclusion, but Hixie's study found
> 36,000 pages (out of 100,000,000) that *use* multiple <base> elements,
> but it's not known how many of those actually break if you only support
> a single base. He mentioned that looking at a smaller subset, it seems
> most use absolute URIs and so are unaffected.

If it's absolute or relative doesn't matter. What matters is if they
URIs are different or not, and from what I understood the test showed
that it was 36000 pages with different URIs. So I would guess most of
them break at least to some extent.

/ Jonas