[whatwg] Hyphenation

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:33:17 +0100
Also sprach ?istein E. Andersen:

 > (By the way, the term
 > `dictionary' used to designate a set of hyphenation patterns that
 > are not, in general, words, is quite confusing.)

The term "hypenation dictionary" is quite common, but I see your
point. What would be a better name for the property?

  hyphenation-pattern
  hypenation-list
  hypenation-resource

or, perhaps:

  hyphenation&shy;pattern

:-)

 > >> [In TeX], hyphenation can [also] be indicated locally.
 > >> This is needed in order to hyphenate words like
 > >> rec-ord/re-cord and is the only level that deals with
 > >> spelling changes.
 >
 > > This can be done by supplying your own dictionary through the
 > > 'hyphenate-dictionary' property.
 >
 > You seem to have misinterpreted the intended meaning of
 > `locally'. The two problems are as follows:
 >
 > 1) Given the following sentence: `Don't wait for record companies,
 > record records yourselves.' In order to hyphenate
 > this correctly, explicit hyphenation points (\- in TeX) must
 > be inserted locally, i.e., as part of the words, as follows:
 > `Don't wait for rec\-ord companies, re\-cord rec\-ords yourselves.'

&shy; is probably the best way to encode this. However, it can be done
through CSS as well:

  Dont's wait for <span style="hypenation-dictionary: rec-ord.dic">record</span>
  companies, <span style="hypenation-dictionary: re-cord.dic">record</span> yourself.

-h&kon
              H?kon Wium Lie                          CTO ??e??
howcome at opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome