[whatwg] How to make HTML5 easier to teach (Was: several messages about HTML5)

On Feb 24, 2007, at 13:24, Keryx Web wrote:

> I would also like to see that the conformance checking software
> would give me a graded output:
>
> 1. Warning - technically allowed but bad practice
> 2. Error - not according to the spec
> 3. Fatal error - most browsers will not be able to parse at all

The semantics for the warnings, errors and fatal errors emitted by
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/html5/ are as follows:

Warning: Something that I think is harmful but there's no spec that
would allow me to call it an error or something that technically
conforming bet is extremely likely a mistake made by the author. OR:
Something that a spec makes an error in most cases, but determining
if it indeed is a spec violation requires inspection by a human.

Error: Violation of a conformance requirement in any supported spec
and the violation does not cause the checker to stop.

Fatal error: Violation of a conformance requirement upon which
checking stops. These include errors that the XML spec requires to be
treated as fatal and HTML parse errors that I have chosen not to try
to recover from. OR: The input triggers a defense mechanism against
denial of service attacks without actually violating any spec.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/