[whatwg] The m element

Leons, you forgot to CC the list.

Leons Petrazickis wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> <m> is for highlighting text that is of some interest to the reader, but
>> it does not alter the meaning of the text itself.
>
> Would you say that <em> is semantic and <m> is presentational, with
> the difference from <span>  is in default formatting?  Or is "meaning"
>  not quite the right word -  is <m> like a highlighter in revision
> change tracking, meant to be seen and then discarded?

No, <m> does have semantics.  It marks a specific point of interest, as
you might do with a highlighter, it just doesn't alter the meaning of
the text itself.

for that.  Though, another use case is that it could be used to mark a
section that needs to be reviewed and/or edited later.  That could be
particularly useful collaborative editing, like in a wiki.  That's often
what I use the highlighter tool for in MS Word.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/