[whatwg] Alt text authoring Re: Conformance for Mail clients

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:48:47 +0100
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:07:09 +0100, timeless <timeless at gmail.com> wrote:

> As such, encouraging people to include alt tags means the difference
> between me knowing that there's an image I care to look at and not.

If e-mail client automatically inserted [image was here] in the text part
of e-mail, you would know that there were images, even without user
providing better alternative text.

I support opinion that it doesn't make sense to _require_ e-mail clients
to bug users about alternative text. On the web rationale for alt text is
that you can never know who will read your page. In case of personal
e-mail you do know.
Pictures sent in personal e-mails almost never have function other than
the picture itself - alt text for vacation photos, to be really an
alternative, would have to be an essay.

--
regards, Kornel Lesi?ski