[whatwg] [WF2] <button> without value="" should perhaps use .innerText as value

From: Kornel Lesinski <kornel@osiolki.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:28:35 +0100
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:10:07 +0100, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> We currently don't have interop with IE and other browsers with regards
> to what to send to the server as the value of <button>.
>
> IE always sends .innerText as value.

IIRC it's innerHTML, but I can't verify it at the moment.

Is there really a noticable number of sites that rely on IE's broken
behaviour? I doubt, because:
* By sending contents of button instead of value, it doesn't provide much
more functionality than <input type=submit>.
* Styling of <button> is not an easy task, so it's unlikely to be used for
its HTML contents - authors rather use <input type=image> or <a
href="javascript:sendform()">
* And worst of all - IE always sends all undisabled <buttons>. This makes
value irrelevant, because you can't check which button was clicked anyway.

--
regards, Kornel Lesi?ski