[whatwg] on codecs in a 'video' tag.

At 16:42  +0200 4/04/07, Maik Merten wrote:
>  > Does this include the sony walkman w950i or modern nokia phones, or
>>  any phone for which opera mini or gmail (downloadable standalone
>>  application) are available?
>
>That's just another reason why we can't rely on dedicated video decoding
>hardware - there are devices out there that can implement WHATWG specs
>but don't have special support for any video codec.

um, as far as I can tell, the 950i has support for H.263 and MPEG4.
(and AMR, MP3 and AAC audio).  This is a pretty common state of
affairs in mobile (and if you like battery life, it's generally best
to use built-in codecs which have been optimized by the manufacturer).
--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime