From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:44:43 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The syntax section says:
>
>   A thead element's end tag may be omitted if the thead
>   element is immediately followed by a tbody or tr element.
>
> Tables created by the HTML parser in conforming HTML5 will always have a
> tbody element.

Oops, that should have been tbody and tfoot. Good catch.

> Further, the <tbody> start tag is also optional if it
> starts with <tr>. [...]

Good catch as well.

> I think this is better fixed by talking about start tags instead of
> elements (except for parent elements).

It gets very confusing if you talk about tags being followed by elements.
The "tags" are just unstructured characters in a stream. The "elements"
are in a DOM. So the presence or absence of tags IMHO has to be given in
terms of the elements in the DOM.

But at any rate, fixed, by saying that <tbody> can't be omitted if the
preceeding element's end tag was omitted.