[whatwg] Element content models

From: Michael <mikes@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:53:29 +0900
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com>, 2006-11-30 09:45 +0000:

> However, I would vehemently stress that it is not that uncommon
> for notes and marginalia to themselves have notes or marginalia,

I don't doubt that there are some, but are you aware of any
specific examples?

> and it would seem particularly odd to allow that in the limited
> space of paper but not the free expanse of hypertext.

I think one reason why existing content models exclude them is
the problem of how to render them. If you have, for example,
numbered footnotes, then how do you number a footnote to a
footnote? And how would an application programatically determine
how to number it? If you have marginalia that annotate other
marginalia, where do you place the additional marginalia?

  --Mike