W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > whatwg@whatwg.org > March 2006

[whatwg] A better name than <gauge> for the element that shows a measurement

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:53:43 -0500
Message-ID: <44202F97.1040903@inkedblade.net>
Christoph Paeper wrote:
> I'm not a native speaker and would have written it correctly. OTOH I 
> never would have imagined the alleged AE spelling 'gage' [LEO], because 
> I would pronounce that completely different: /gO:Z/ vs. /geIdZ/ [SAMPA].

I pronounce it "gayj". So do most of the civil engineers I know.

As for spelling, I'm likely to use "gage" for e.g. "22-gage steel deck",
but I'm inclined to use "gauge" for "fuel gauge". But that's just me.

Received on Tuesday, 21 March 2006 08:53:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Wednesday, 22 January 2020 16:58:45 UTC